Bioidentical progesterone benefits depend a lot on the person taking them and their unique characteristics, such as other hormone levels, prior duration of symptoms, the actual symptoms themselves, and other aspects of the person’s unique chemistry. That said, there has been research that has shown that for many people a wide variety of benefits of bioidentical progesterone are possible and perhaps even likely. If you have undergone a thorough assessment and it is clear to your practitioner that you will experience benefits of bioidentical progesterone, then you can be relatively confident that you will get some symptom relief this way.
Bioidentical Progesterone Benefits: Research
There have been several studies comparing bioidentical progesterone to traditional synthetic progesterone (called ” progestin”) and the results have been quite positive for fans of bioidentical hormone replacement therapy. Among other positive findings regarding bioidentical progesterone benefits, it was reported that women experienced improved quality of life and fewer side effects as benefits of bioidentical progesterone, particularly when the BHRT was a switch from more traditional hormone replacement therapies. These studies compared bioidentical hormones and traditional hormones head-to-head, allowing for comparisons between the two approaches.
Perhaps the largest of the studies to date was done at the Mayo Clinic. 176 women who had been having synthetic hormone replacement therapy with progestin, a non-bioidentical hormone, but switched to bioidentical progesterone were studied. The findings suggested that the women experienced a higher degree of improvement in their symptoms when on the bioidentical hormones. The findings as far as bioidentical progesterone benefits included:
- Almost two-thirds felt that the bioidentical hormones were better at symptom reduction overall, and 80% reported overall satisfaction with BHRT
- The bioidentical progesterone was seen as reducing sleep problems by almost a third, an important positive when it comes to hormone replacement since this is sometimes one of the major presenting issues.
- The bioidentical progesterone was seen as responsible for a 50% reduction in anxiety and a 60% reduction in depression, both of which are seen in those who look into hormone replacement
Other positive findings in this and other studies that directly compared BHRT and traditional synthetic approaches included less bleeding and breast tenderness, greater quality of sleep, and improved cognitive performance. More studies are welcome and perhaps needed to truly sum up the differences between the benefits of bioidentical progesterone and traditional therapies, but it can at least be said that the initial results are quite promising and should give people who are considering bioidentical hormones a boost in confidence. Your reaction will be unique of course, but these studies can provide at least an initial guide.
Benefits of Bioidentical Progesterone: Listing
Given the above and other information gathered here we wanted to provide a list of the potential benefits of Bioidentical progesterone. Here are the many possibilities:
- Progesterone in balance can help to regulate blood sugar and can ensure effective conversion of fat into energy. The result can be weight loss and increased energy as benefits of bioidentical progesterone.
- Increased libido can also come as a result of this bioidentical hormone
- Some might feel a lessening of depression and improved sleep as bioidentical progesterone benefits
- One of the benefits of bioidentical progesterone is that it reduces anxiety in some women
- Improved cognitive performance has been noted, which could be due to the calming effect or an effect on its own
- Bioidentical progesterone may improve the immune system.
- Some have reported that one of the benefits of bioidentical progesterone is that it improves gum health and reduces the chances of gingivitis
- Bioidentical Progesterone may help preserve skin elasticity as we age
Bioidentical progesterone can do many positive things if it is used correctly, so the above may only be a partial listing. That said, there is no guarantee that you will experience all or even many of the above, and you should make sure that your BHRT is done in a comprehensive way and that you pursue other avenues to wellness as well. Best of luck in your pursuit of symptom relief, and specifically if you find that you are a good candidate to experience some of these benefits of bioidentical progesterone.